Research Scientist Awadis Arslan
- Soil and water salinity management
- improving and development crop production
- soil spatial variability, irrigation, water balance, plant nutrition
- crop water use and water use efficiency
- plant growth and hydraulic properties of soil surface
- Soil amendment and reclamation
- Surface and ground water hydrology
- soil, plant, fertilizers, and water analysis.
See Biography for International Projects.
Grazing land ecohydrology and soil erosion class development
I have a Ph. D. from the University Of Arizona, USA Major in Soil physics/minor in hydrology 1990. I have teaching experience in USA and Syria. I lectured during Fall 2017, at University of Nevada, Reno, NRES 322 Introduction to Soils. and Soil-Plant –Water relationships (graduate course, University of Damascus) (1999-2007). I taught Soil physics (University of Damascus) (1999/2000). During my currier I was involved in many training courses such as:
- AIM Regional Core Methods Training Reno NV in 2021 and 2019
- Training Workshop to 23 Tunisian participants from CREM-BGR project on DSSAT V 4.61 use from Jul 24 to Aug 7 2016.
- Training Workshop of English speaking Africans on Designing, Evaluating and Installing Different Irrigation Systems, Damascus – Syrian Arab Republic, 5/11 – 4/12/2006. (about 45 hours of lectures and practical training)
- Training Workshop of English speaking Africans on the Use of Modern Techniques in Irrigation Water Management and Fertigation, 6/3 - 2/4/2006, (about 45 hours of lectures and practical training)
- Training course of English speaking Africans at ACSAD August 11 to Sep 7, 2003 (about 50 hours of lectures and practical training on irrigation water management and fertigation).
- A training national course in Tunisia on using modern soil moisture and salinity instruments and scheduling irrigation of field crops. 6-3-8/7/2002.
- A training course on water harvesting techniques, The conservation and protection on sustainable agricultural biodiversity project. MAAR, Sep. 2000.
- A cooperative project with the USDA, Agricultural Research Service (ARS), the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and the Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) to quantify water availability and quality in western watersheds 2017-2021.
- Assessing Benefits of Conservation Practices on Rangelands and Pastures with the Rangeland Hydrology and Erosion Model" project 2017-2021.
- Technical coordinator of "Adaptation to climate change in wana marginal environment sthrough sustainablecrop andlivestock diversification" for Syria from Jun 2010 to June 2013.
- Technical coordinator of : Middle East Water and Livelihoods initiative, Improving Rural Livelihoods through Sustainable Water and Land-use Management, In Middle East Countries: Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria and Yemen. Supported by USAID, for Syria. From June 2009 to June 2013
- Technical coordinator of “Capacity and knowledge building on the Sustainable Use of WAter REsources in Syrian Agriculture” SUWARESA Grant agreement no.: 266504. FP7-INCO-2010-6, ERA WIDE. Jan 2011 to Dec 2013, Currently suspended because of the situation in Syria.
- Joint collaborative research within in the: Sustainable Water Use Securing Food production in Dry Areas of the Mediterranean Region, Project supported by European Commission. work in partnership on the following activities: (1) use of saline water for evaluating the growth potential of food legume crops (chickpea, faba bean, and lentil); from Aug 2008 to Aug 2013.
- Technical coordinator of “Sorghum and Pearl Millet for Enhanced Crop-Livestock Productivity in Saline Lands - A Joint Project Proposal from The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture (ICBA) and The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)” for Syria from March 2007 to March 2011.
- Technical coordinator of "Saving freshwater resources with salt-tolerant forage production in marginal areas of (WANA) region, an opportunity to raise the income of the rural poor" project in Syrian Arab republic 2005-2009.
- Steering committee of "Applied Research Program for the Utilization of Brackish/Saline Water in North Africa project" funded by IFAD 2001 - 2005.
- Worked on the A Systems Approach to a Sustainable Increase in Irrigated Vegetable Crop Production in Salinity-prone Areas of the Mediterranean Region SALTMED project 1999 - 2003
- Worked on the interregional technical co-operation project INT/5/144 “The FAO/IAEA Interregional model project “Sustainable utilization of saline groundwater and wasteland for plant production” 1997 - 1998.
Ph D major in Soil physics and minor in hydrology, University Of Arizona, USA, 1990
MS in irrigation and soil reclamation, Aleppo University-ICARDA 1982